Who should report allegations of abuse or neglect to the Children’s Services Division?

The Children's Services Division encourages everyone to report suspected child abuse and neglect. Some professions are mandated by law to report suspected child abuse and neglect by virtue of their positions. Mandated reporters are those individuals who in the course of their work come into contact with families and children.

The following professionals are Mandated Reporters (Penal Code Section 11165.7) and are required to report suspected/alleged child abuse and neglect to a child protective agency such as the police or the Children's Services Division and file a Mandated Reporter form within 48 hours of submitting an oral report. The following is a list (not all inclusive) of professionals who are Mandated Reporters:

  • Anyone whose duties require direct contact and supervision of children.
  • Medical, Dental and Hospital Personnel including: physicians, surgeons, dentists, residents, interns, podiatrists, chiropractors, licensed nurses, dental hygienists, optometrists, medical examiners, coroners, emergency medical technicians and paramedics.
  • Mental health professionals and counselors including: psychiatrists, psychologists, licensed and unlicensed marriage, family and child counselors and trainees and psychological assistants.
  • School officials and educators including: public, classified or private teachers, instructional aides or teacher’s assistants, administrative officers, supervisors of child welfare and attendance, administrators or employees of a county office of education or the California Department of Education and school police.
  • Social service personnel including: public assistance workers, social workers, clinical social workers, child visitation monitors and county welfare employees.
  • Clergy including: priests, ministers, rabbis, religious practitioners, or similar functionary of a church, temple or recognized denomination or organization.
  • Day camp or child care providers including: public or private: administrators, licensees and employees of any youth center, youth recreational program, youth organization, licensed community care or child day care facility.
  • Commercial film and photographic print processors including: all employees who develop exposed negatives, slides, or prints.
  • Law enforcement personnel including: any employee of any police department, county sheriff’s department, and county probation department. This includes probation officers, parole officers, police officers, peace officers and custodial officers.