In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
What is IHSS?
A home care program that helps elders, dependent adults and minors live safely in their own homes or other non-institutional settings. If you would like more information or if you would like to apply for IHSS, please call us toll free at 1-888-960-4477. For your convenience, below is a link to the IHSS application and a brochure regarding the program.
Who is Eligible to Receive IHSS?
- Applicants who meet Medi-Cal eligibility requirements in California.
- Elders, dependent adults and minors whose disability is expected to continue longer than 12 months.
- Elders, dependent adults and minors whose physician or a medical professional has determined that they are unable to remain safely in their own home without IHSS.
What Services Are Available?
Depending on the need of the applicant, services may include assistance with meal preparation and clean-up, food shopping, bathing, dressing, personal care, house cleaning, assistance with medications and certain other paramedical assistance (with physician approval).
How Do I Apply for IHSS?
Call us toll free at 1-888-960-4477
Our staff will complete the Application for you based on the information you provide. Before calling you should have the following information available to you:
- The correct spelling of the applicant’s first and last name.
- The applicant’s address and telephone number.
- Date of birth.
- The number of people living in the home with the applicant and their ages.
- Applicant's social security number.
I Have Applied for IHSS, Now What?
Your application will be reviewed for eligibility; if you meet basic eligibility requirements your application will then be assigned to a social worker stationed in a district office closest to your home. The Social Worker will then contact you to schedule an in-home visit to assess your need for services.
Who Provides the Services?
Once your application for IHSS is approved recipients may select their own care provider or receive services through an agency contracted with the County of Riverside. The IHSS Public Authority is an option to locate and hire an individual provider if you do not already have someone to provide services.
What Happens If I Disagree with the Outcome of my Application?
Once you have received your notice of action and you do not agree with the outcome of your application, the following options are available to you:
- Call your Social Worker to discuss their assessment of your needs.
- If further resolution is needed, ask to speak to your Social Worker’s Supervisor.
- If you are unable to come to agreement with your Social Worker or their Supervisor, you may engage in a more formal, administrative process by completing the form on the back of your Notice of Action.
- Once the form is complete please mail your request to:
The Office of Chief Referee
Department of Social Services
744 P Street
Sacramento, CA 95814